Wednesday, November 22, 2006

iPodlessness

I'm not sure exactly how I've managed to get by without an iPod for so long now. It's going on for 6 months since my car was broken into and my iPod stolen. The ironic thing of course was that for the 9 months that I lived at my old place, where my car stood in the road outside in what was considered a slightly "dodgy" area, it was never touched. In fact the locals rather liked it, what with it's big wheels, dumped suspension and bodykit. My car that is, not my iPod. The local kids would give me the thumbs up, or tell me that my car was "cool, man", and I guess because I lived in the neighbourhood they left it alone.

When I moved to go live with The Boyf my Mum expressed relief that I was moving out of somewhere "rough" and into a "nice part of town". Imagine her surprise when my car was broken into, in a secure garage area, only a short while after I'd moved. The glee I gained from telling her was strangely tempered by the bill for my car being repaired, however.

Anyway, the upshot is that I've been iPodless for a number of months, and my life just isn't the same. I loved having my every movement soundtracked. I loved matching my music to my mood and surroundings. And with a 60gb iPod half-full, and still being added to on a daily basis, I always had the right song for the right moment. And now it's gone.

I did wonder what the thief thought of my taste in music. I imagined him/her flicking through my playlists; Erasure - gay! Depeche Mode - gay! Pet Shop Boys - gay! Barbra Streisand - ubergay! Metallica - er! Meat Beat Manifesto - who? Autechre - wtf! I wonder if they sat down and listened to any of it. I'd like to think that some thieving little shit somewhere now has an appreciation of avant-garde electronica. Or suddenly likes Celine Dion. It would almost make my music-free world worthwhile.

Of course now I get to wander around singing to myself, which is a bonus for everyone I come into contact with, as I'm sure the passengers of today's Tube will attest having been serenaded with "Loving You" on the way to work this morning. Nearly even hit that high note. I'll give it another go on the way home tonight.

No comments: