Monday, October 23, 2006

Farewell Schuey

I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear at the end of the Grand Prix yesterday. I'd already started getting a bit emotional when Schuey set a fastest lap after his puncture, and had worked my way up from there.

It's very much the end of an era. As with most geniuses Schumacher was flawed, and his career has been tempered with controversy. But whether you like him or not you have to admit that he's going to leave a big hole in F1.



Personally I love the guy. I loved the way he could pull fastest lap after fastest lap out of the bag when he needed to, seemingly at will. I loved the way he always gave praise where it was due, and was always on the optimistic side of realistic. And I loved how he never gave up, as demonstrated again yesterday. He retires as the best driver currently in F1, the best of his generation, and arguably the best of all time.

I'm going to miss him, and now I have to find someone new to cheer for after all these years. Being a dedicated Ferrari fan since childhood I should start rooting for Kimi, but his complete lack of any discernible personality prohibits this, therefore I'm left with Massa to uphold my Ferrari allegiance. Other than that I guess I'm going to have to cheer for Button. If only Michael wasn't leaving.

No comments: