Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Why My Friends Think I'm Weird: Pt.1

Today I would like to further my case for the use of the word "disclude". Now I know what you're gonna say, the opposite of include is exclude, and you'd be correct. However, my case for disclude centres around the fact that when you exclude something you have to physically name it. Ok, look, you're writing a list of your friends (and you're not very popular)...

Mark, John, and Andromeda (her middle name is Chelsea, natch)

The first time you write it you think "I'm going to exclude Andromeda cause she still wears shell-suits" (she comes from Chatham) and you write "Mark and John". You've made a physical decision to EXCLUDE her.

The second time you write it you just forget about Andromeda cause, well, she's instantly forgettable. Like David Sneddon. Again you write "Mark and John", the difference being that you've DISCLUDED Andromeda this time. You didn't make a conscious decision to EXCLUDE her, you just forgot to INCLUDE her. She's not been EXCLUDED, she's just not been INCLUDED.

So, in summation, EXCLUDE is when you make a conscious decision not to include something, DISCLUDE is simply when something hasn't been INCLUDED.

Phew, I'm glad you all understand it. Normally I just get stared at.

I'm still trying to work out my definitions for "disinclude" and "uninclude". "Undiscluded" is easy though - it's when you've accidentally discluded someone and then remember to include them.

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject, one of my friends (not Andromeda) would like me to mention the word "comfortability". It's a way of measuring how comfortable something is. You can decide on a comfortability scale between yourselves.

2 comments:

Concrete said...

Unclude?

OMO said...

Er... it look a little ungainly. Maybe we should have a vote.