Tuesday, July 15, 2008

London Pride (finally)

So, I'm gonna finally tell you about Pride.

The sun certainly shone on London Pride this year. Mostly. After a damp start to the day the clouds parted and the gays took most of their clothes off to parade through the West End. Who were we to disappoint the assembled masses?

We wandered up to the start of the march, near Baker Street (cue saxophone), to have a look at the assembled floats and the flamboyant Pride regulars. You know gays, they’re a bit like magpies - anything shiny they pick up and carry around - and there were certainly plenty of peacocks strutting their stuff. (Two bird analogies in one sentence. Get me today!).

We stood near to the front of the march so we could watch it go past, but as the drums started The Boyf and I suddenly found ourselves caught up in the drama and thrust onto the front line. So there we were, marching with the rest, in the front line of the walkers directly behind the giant rainbow flag. And it was lovely. The sun shone, people cheered, the gays pranced, and we blew kisses at hot guys in the crowd (including a load of builders hanging off scaffolding and cheering us, which was rather nice). However we had to stop a potential problem when it turned out that Selfridges had a sale on and everyone wanted to detour in to have a look around.

After the march we wandered over to Trafalgar Square for a while, where we rather randomly bumped into the hot Middle-Eastern guy that I'd seen - ok, fell in lust with - at the Black Party. For some reason The Boyf was feeling brave so we went over to say Hi, and of course he turned out to be lovely. The Boyf had to drag me away, dribbling, in case I embarrassed myself with a mis-timed "I love you", as is my way. In fact he had to drag me as far as Soho Square before I stopped begging to go back, and whilst there we had a little dance and perv before heading back to Old Compton Street, and then home for the season finale of Dr Who (crap, just so you know).

We couldn't make up our minds where to go for Pride night, so ended up in our local (XXL) with a couple of new friends of ours (the lovely Iraqi and his boyfriend), but it was, well, shit actually, so we all headed to Megawoof where I got very drunk and tried to make everyone suck my lollipop (not a euphemism, oddly).

And that was our Pride. A lovely day from start to finish. Looking forward to Brighton now...

No comments: