Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Online Messaging Etiquette

I've just had a message on BigMuscleBears, which isn't all that unusual, being incredibly popular like I am. Er... anyway, usually I get messages like "Aw, you're cute", or "WOOF!", or "Who's that hot guy with you in your third photo?", or "Re: Photo 4 - That wedding dress isn't working for you". I very rarely get anything sexual. I guess I've been around too long for that. I'm not fresh meat anymore, and boy don't we know it. However, today I got the following:

"Want to meet for hardcore sex"

That's all it says. No "Hello", no "I'm such and such and I think you're sexy". And no question mark at the end either. Is it indeed a question, or just a statement? And the guy's not in the UK, judging by his screen name (I've not looked at his profile cause I'm at work, although that doesn't always stop me). If I say yes is he going to immediately jump on a plane? (That almost happened once before actually. I was doing some casual online flirting with a Canadian and he said "Maybe I should come and visit sometime", to which I responded with "Well, just let me know if you ever think about coming over". The next evening he messaged me with "I've booked my flight. I arrive in two days time. Can you pick me up from the airport?". Scarily I did actually think about it for 5 minutes, cause he was really hot an all. At least, the guy in his photos was. Canadians can be really weird sometimes).

In fact, that's just reminded me of something else that happened a couple of months ago. The Boyf and I pulled a Canadian fella whilst he was in London - very sexy an' all - and we took him back to ours for the night. And the next day. Anyway, afterwards we swapped email addresses and he went on his way. A week or so later The Boyf received an email from him asking whether he could "borrow" me for the Black & Blue Party in Montreal. (He didn't even ask me. It was like The Boyf was my pimp or something). He said he'd pay for everything, but wanted to take me out over there cause everyone would think I was hot ("the French Canadians will totally be all over him" was his actually comment) and he'd like to "have" me as his boyfriend for the weekend. It was like he was asking a neighbour to borrow a pressure washer or something. It made me feel like a piece of meat. I thought at one point The Boyf was going to go for it too, but then he put his foot down with me. Shame, cause I really wanted to have a weekend away and would have totally gone for being used in exchange for a free trip to Canada. Oh, like you wouldn't! Really? Oh.

So, back to the matter at hand; how should I respond to this message? I was thinking about going back with just "Nah. You're alright, thanks", but that's seems a little rude. What about "Oh yes please, and don't forget to bring some friends"? (That's one for The Boyf). Or "Do you fancy waiting until after the sex change or would you prefer me with a penis?". Or I could just ignore him. By the way, judging from the thumbnail photo he's not hot, otherwise I'd never be asking you this question, I'd simply be inviting him to stay.

UPDATE:
When I got home last night I had a look at the guy's profile. He's not from the UK but is over on holiday, so that's one tick in his favour. The second point to note is that his thumbnail photo doesn't do him justice - judging from the other photos on his profile he's actually rather humpy. So I don't think I need help with how to respond to his message after all, but thanks for thinking about it.

No comments: