Friday, March 20, 2009

Shouldn't Be Complaining, But...

What is it with people giving me their phone number?

I don't mean guys in bars who I've been chatting to (ironically I'm NEVER given phone numbers by guys in bars). I mean guys on-line, who I've never spoken to before and who suddenly message me with their number. It's happened four times in the last week.

The first one wasn't so bad. We'd had a short mail exchange - just pleasantries - when he suddenly told me his number. Baring in mind that he lives at the other end of the country and told me to phone to arrange a meet, I was rather confused. So I just did a polite "thank you" and said I'd keep it handy in case I was ever in his area (not likely).

The second guy I hadn't even spoken to before. He simply messaged me with his number and told me to call so he could explain where he lived. The expectation seemed to be that I was going to jump straight in a cab, at close to midnight on a Thursday. Did he think I was a prostitute? I certainly wasn't going to be taking off my jim-jams and heading out - what would The Boyf say? - so I actually sent back a slightly sarcastic message saying it was getting rather late and I'd settled in for the night with a cup of cocoa and a Maeve Binchy. So he wrote back saying it was a shame cause he'd had a quick wash in expectation of my arrival!!! I restrained from asking him if he was mental. (Obviously he wasn't hot, otherwise I'd have booked a cab, jumped in the shower and told The Boyf I was popping out for milk).

Today I've been sent phone numbers by two guys. The first one was ok - I'd actually said Hi once in a club a few weeks back and he'd found me on-line to say he liked me. We'd exchanged pleasantries and then he said he was coming back to England (he's from Germany) in a few weeks and would I like a beer "or something" (which I assume doesn't mean knitting). My affirmative response was met with his number. I'm not sure I've ever actually slept with a German - must look in my diary. (I've just checked - there was a German, back in Feb 2007. He creeped me out actually, so hopefully this one will be better. Not sure why I'm giving you this information…)

Anyway, the second guy today, only 5 minutes ago, was someone randomly sending me his number and saying he'd like to hook up. And once again he lives hundreds of miles away. Do these people think a) I don't already have a boyfriend who might wonder why I've suddenly decided to have a night away in some random part of the country, and b) that I can't hook up, should I want to, closer to home? Or do you think they just send out their number to anyone, on the same basis as cold-calling i.e. if you blanket-bomb at some point you're bound to get a hit?

I shouldn't complain - I like the attention no matter what the guys look like (it's all flattery after all), but aren't guys jumping the gun a bit? Generally I like a bit of romance, or at least a "your hair looks nice tonight" before I drop my drawers.

And shouldn't people be more careful giving their numbers out? I could be anyone. Even if I'm not a perverted stalker (the jury's still out on that one) I could be the sort who passes their numbers to all sorts. When I was a wee lad I was incredibly careful who my number went to, and that was before Gaydar and the like made it easier to contact people. Do people not realise there are some complete nut-cases about? And I don't know about giving numbers to strangers - I even have some friends who I'd rather not have my number...

UPDATE: I've just been sent another phone number, although this one is welcome. Even so, we'd only swapped a couple of mesages when he sent his number and told me to call him. Why did I never get this amount of attention when I was single?

2 comments:

Jackem said...

I'm surprised this hasn't happened to you before - I had the impression this was quite common, but that most of the number givers were living in their own fantasy world. Some of the keenest people when I was on Gaydar were at the other end of the country and didn't seem to think it was unusual to suggest meeting someone 300 miles away.

Bearing in mind that 7 out of 10 people living locally who messaged me suggesting we meet turned out to have no intention of meeting, I would assume this is just more of the same. There seem to be a surprising number of people who get off just on the idea that a bloke has agreed to meet them for sex.

OMO said...

I've been given numbers before, but always by guys who I knew I'd meet i.e. after a prolonged conversation.

This sudden spate of numbers from people I've not really spoken to before is very new to me, and I would agree that most appear to have no real intention in meeting. They seem happy enough being able to tell themselves that someone has their number and might want sex.

Good job I'm not single - this would be driving me nuts.