Thursday, June 19, 2008

OMO At The Movies: "Iron Man"

The Boyf and I have been to see three films in quick succession, so I'm only going to do a very small review of each.

First up it's "Iron Man"...

Ok, so I have a "thing" for Robert Downey Jr and I don't know why! There, I said it. Again. I know he's not all that, but I like his cheeky charm, and even forcing myself to (partly) sit through "A Scanner Darkly" didn't detract from it. Never did manage to get all the way through that film...

I really enjoyed "Iron Man". And yes, I know I like superhero movies. Ok, ok, give me a break. When I go to the pictures - a phrase which sounds like the films could very well be in black and white and come accompanied by a guy rising from the floor on a Whirlitzer - I go to be entertained. I go to eat chocolate, suspend disbelief and relax for a couple of hours. I generally don't go to see films which are going to be hard work. Those I reserve for when I'm at home.

So, with that in mind; was I entertained? Unreservedly yes.

Was it all a bit ham-fisted? Oh yes.

Was the plot so thin it resembled Paris Hilton on hunger strike? Indeed.

Well thought out, three dimensional characters? Er... no.

Does Gwyneth Paltrow possess any discernible talent? Absolutely not.

If you like your movies fast-paced, fun to look and like to not have to think for 90 minutes at a time then you'll like it.

One question though. How on Earth did Tony Stark manage to build the original Iron Man suit whilst imprisoned a cave, using bits of old scrap, without anyone noticing even though he was under constant surveillance, and utilising technology he couldn't get to work in a lab? Oh, and why did he have the plans for the suit on him in the first place?

Answers on a postcard to OMO Towers...

No comments: